Professional development (PD)
PD is your strategy for success ... lifelong learning that is unique to you
- PD improves your ability to undertake your job
- PD helps you keep pace with changing technology and knowledge in the dynamic environment of the library and information sector
- PD ensures you maintain a competitive edge
- PD builds self esteem and enhances your career opportunities
- PD provides assurance to your employer and the community that you are keeping yourself up-to-date
What is PD?
Where and when can you do it?
PD, whose responsibility is it?
ALIA PD services
Conferences, courses and event in your region, state, nationally and overseas.
ALIA's PD scheme
Recognition within the profession
ALIA's Career development kit
... a good starting point to help you plan your PD.
The kit is designed to help you (and your employer) analyse your skills and highlight areas that you need to work on to develop your skills and acquire new ones.
- Use the worksheets to identify which activities will help you achieve your goals
- Re-evaluate your plan regularly
- Use the kit as part of your regular performance review
You are not on your own:
- Join an ALIAnet e-list
ALIAnet e-lists serve the entire library and information sector in Australia and overseas.
- Join an ALIA group
ALIA groups are formed 'by members for members' and may have a geographic, special interest, special purpose, issue or sectoral basis.
- Join an ALIA mentoring program
Mentoring is planned pairing of a more-experienced person with a lesser-skilled individual to achieve mutually agreed-upon outcomes. It is a partnership in which both share in the growth and personal development of one another.
Participate in PD activities relevant to you, network, exchange ideas and information.
Need more information?
Contact the ALIA PD officer (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone 02 6215 8258 or fax 02 282 2249