National Simultaneous Storytime 2008
Date : Wednesday, 21 May 2008
Time: 11:00 am
Book for 2008
We are delighted to announce that the 2008 NSS book is:
Written by Amanda Graham
Illustrated by Donna Gynell
Published by Era Publications
ISBN: 9780947212124 (pbk.)
Order your 2008 merchandise now.
Wednesday, 21 May 2008
How to participate
Complete registration form to participate in NSS 2008
What is it
The Australian Library and Information Association organises National Simultaneous Storytime
in May every year. The aim is to:
- promote the value of reading and literacy
- promote the value of books
- promote an Australian writer and publisher, and
- promote storytime activities in public libraries and communities around the country.
National Simultaneous Storytime provides a great opportunity to involve parents, grandparents,
the press and others to participate in and enjoy the occasion. At the same time, it highlights
the importance of reading and literacy for children, and demonstrates how this can be a fun experience.
The first National Simultaneous Storytime was held during Library and Information Week 2001. Since 2002, NSS has taken place during National Literacy and Numeracy Week. The cross-promotion of National Simultaneous Storytime and National Literacy and Numeracy Week by ALIA and the Commonwealth Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST) resulted in a greater interest in National Simultaneous Storytime. NSS continues to attract a wide audience from around Australia.
In 2007, approximately 70,000 children at over 880 locations took part in the simultaneous reading of The Magic Hat written by Mem Fox and Illustrated by Tricia Tusa. Over 520 books and 800 activity packs were sold.
Books in previous years
- 2007 - The Magic Hat written by Mem Fox and Illustrated by Tricia Tusa
- 2006 - Good night, me by Andrew Daddo and illustrated by Emma Quay
- 2005 - Wombat stew by Marcia K Vaughan and Pamela Lofts
- 2004 - Muddled-up farm written by Mike Dumbleton and illustrated by Jobi Murphy
- 2003 - I don't want to go to school written by Christine Harris and illustrated by Craig Smith
- 2002 - Mrs Wilkinson's chooks by Leone Peguero and Mike Spoor
- 2001 - Edward the emu written by Sheena Knowles and illustrated by Rod Clement